Top row (L-R): Dr. Kouqing Li, Prof. Lin Zhou, Dr. Hoe Ee Khor, Dr. Jae Young Lee
Second row (L-R): Dr. George Yang, Dr. Terence Chong, Dr. Zhihuan E, Dr. Haibin Zhu
Third row (L-R): Dr. Francis Lui, Dr. Pak Wai Liu, Mr. Suan Yong Foo, Dr. Fan Zhai. With participation from the AMRO Hong Kong team
The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) and the ASEAN+3 Macroeconomic Research Office (AMRO) will hold a virtual roundtable on the economy of Hong Kong, China on Friday, August 5, 2022, 9:30 AM – 12:00 PM (Singapore time).
Participants from AMRO, CUHK, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), Bank of China (Hong Kong) and JP Morgan will discuss Hong Kong’s near-term macroeconomic outlook, long-term development challenges, and policy priorities.
The roundtable is part of AMRO’s 2022 Annual Consultation Visit program to Hong Kong, China.
|9:30 AM – 9:40 AM||Opening Remarks by:
|9:40 AM – 10:40 AM||Session 1: Macroeconomic Outlook, Challenges and Policies for 2022 and 2023
Against the backdrop of a subsiding fifth wave of Covid-19 outbreak, Hong Kong’s economy recovered in the second quarter of 2022.
Moderator: Dr. LEE Jae Young, Group Head and Lead Economist, Mission Chief for Hong Kong, AMRO
|10:40 AM – 10:45 AM||Coffee break|
|10:45 AM – 11:55 AM||Session 2: Medium- and Long-term Challenges and Policy Priorities
Hong Kong faces a number of medium- and long-term challenges, such as population aging and labor force shrinkage, worsening income distribution, low housing affordability, over-reliance on certain industries and trading partners, and the possible escalation of US-China tension.
Moderator: Professor YANG George Yong, Director, School of Accountancy, CUHK
|11:55 AM – 12:00 PM||Summary and Closing Remarks
Dr. KHOR Hoe Ee, Chief Economist, AMRO
- Dr. LI Kouqing, Director, AMRO
- Dr. KHOR Hoe Ee, Chief Economist, AMRO
- Dr. LEE Jae Young, Group Head and Lead Economist, Mission Chief for Hong Kong, China, AMRO
- Dr. ZHOU Lin, Dean, CUHK Business School
Chol-Ming Li Professor of Economics
- Dr. CHONG Terence, Associate Professor, Economics Department, CUHK
- Dr. E Zhihuan, Chief Economist, Bank of China (Hong Kong)
- Dr. LIU Pak Wai, Professor Emeritus, Economics Department, CUHK
- Dr. LUI Francis T, Professor Emeritus, Economics Department, HKUST
- Dr. YANG George Yong, Professor and Director, School of Accountancy, CUHK
- Dr. ZHU Haibin, Chief China Economist, JP Morgan